You may be an active member of the IndustryWeek manufacturing community, but how much do you really know about manufacturing quality? To test your knowledge, we've put together a short (10 question) quiz for you to find out the extent of your quality expertise.
To achieve Six Sigma quality, a process must produce not more than how many defects?
The answer is C. 3.4 defects per million opportunities.
The Pareto principle is also frequently referred to as what?
The answer is the 80/20 rule.
3. Who said: "Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
3. The answer is Henry Ford.
True or False? The acronym DMAIC is an abbreviation for Define, Measure, Analyze, Investigate and Correct.
The acronym DMAIC is an abbreviation for Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control. It is a a data-driven quality strategy used to improve processes.
Which ISO standard sets out the criteria for a quality management system?
ISO 9001 sets out the criteria for a quality management standard and is the only standard in the ISO 9000 family to which an organization can become certified.
6. What Japanese term is another word for mistake-proofing?
The answer is poka-yoke. A poka-yoke typically is a device or mechanism that prevents incorrect parts from being made or assembled, or helps operators avoid making errors.
7. Which automotive company employed the slogan: “Quality is job one.”
Ford is the Big 3 automaker behind the slogan, "Quality is job one."
8. What manufacturing company is credited with developing the Six Sigma improvement methodology?
The answer is Motorola, which also received a trademark for the term “Six Sigma.”
9. Malcolm Baldrige Jr., for whom the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award is named, held what position in the Ronald Reagan administration?
Malcolm Baldrige Jr. was the 26th U.S. Secretary of Commerce. He served from 1981 until his death in 1987.
10. Which quality guru’s brother won an Academy Award?
The answer is Dr. Joseph Juran. His brother Nathan won an Academy Award for art direction on “How Green Was My Valley” (1941).
Read also: A Quality Conversation with Dr. Joseph Juran
Trump and Manufacturing
The Changing Automotive Landscape
IoT and the Digitization of Manufacturing
Skilled Worker Shortage
Ask the Expert: Lean Leadership
Cloud Computing -- Sponsored by Plex
The Connected Enterprise -- Sponsored by Rockwell Automation
Industry Intelligence Market Reports