The Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited Schneider Electric, doing business as Square D, for alleged safety violations in an El Paso, Texas, facility where one worker died of electrocution.
OSHA cited the company for nine serious violations following an inspection that started Jan. 21 in the wake of a worker electrocution, OSHA said in a news release. The worker was electrocuted when he grabbed the test leads on a shop-made cart used to test equipment, the agency said. It alleges the facility exposed workers to numerous safety hazards during the testing process of equipment manufactured by Schneider Electric.
The nine serious violations include failing to ensure personal protective equipment was tested and maintained; failing to ensure workers testing equipment wore the proper gloves, footwear and/or fire-resistant clothing; and failing to ensure that qualified employees were allowed to work on energized electrical parts or equipment.
Proposed penalties total $42,300.
The company has 15 days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, contest the findings or meet with an area OSHA director.