After closely following the IW 50 Best Manufacturing Companies in 2005 and the beginning of 2006, it is evident that these companies not only perform well financially, they are often in the news for winning awards and accolades within their industries and beyond.
In May IndustryWeek will announce its new list of IW 50 Best Manufacturing Companies. To honor the companies that we have been writing about for the last year, this week's and next week's installments of Leadership Insights From The IW 50 are dedicated to kudos and accomplishments.
We have attempted to round up all the awards earned by the IW 50 companies during 2005 and 2006. However, the list is not exhaustive since some companies choose not to blow their own horns. The information was culled from company Web sites.
If we have left any stone unturned, please feel free to let us know. We would love to share your successes with our readers!
- The American Red Cross ran an ad Dec. 28, 2005, in The Wall Street Journal thanking Anheuser-Busch for its compassion and financial support.
- Earned three gold medals, a silver and a bronze medal at the 2005 Great American Beer Festival. The gold medals were for Michelob Marzen, Michelob Pale Ale and O'Doul's Amber.
- Named one of Fortune magazine's 2005 America's Most Admired Companies.
- Autodesk executive H. Wayne Hodgins earned the Hans Karlsson Award for Leadership and Achievement from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Named one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies To Work For.
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences presented Jos Stam, principal scientist, a Technical Achievement Award.
- The company's Benguela Belize drilling and production platform in Angola was named "Project of the Year" by the Offshore Energy Association.
- The U.S. Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service awarded ChevronTexaco its Gulf of Mexico Safety and Employee Corporate Leadership award.
- Two Clorox ad campaigns earned awards at the 52nd annual Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival.
- Listed in the National Association of Female Executive's Top 30 Companies for Executive Women.
- Listed as one of the Top 50 Employers in Equal Opportunity Publications.
- Earned a place on the EPA's Best Workplaces for Commuters.
- Named to Working Mother Magazine's list of 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers.
- 50 Best Companies for Latinas via Latina Style magazine's list.
- DiversityInc.com named it one of 50 Best Companies for Diversity.
- Earned Ford Motor Co.'s Gold World Excellence Award for superior performance.
- Institutional Investor magazine's America's Best CFOs ranking listed James Schneider as one of its top CFOs that transcend the traditional number-crunching, cost-controlling role and embrace responsibility for improving operations, driving revenue growth and executing big acquisitions.
- The Austin Area Urban League named Thurmond B. Woodard its 2006 Whitney M. Young Jr. Award recipient for his global diversity and ethics efforts.
- Frost & Sullivan awarded Dell with its CEO Choice Award for the most reliable manufacturer of notebook computers. It also received the CEO Choice Award for the most reliable manufacturer of desktop computers in North America.
- Earned the Pinnacle Award from SAP AG for outstanding customer satisfaction and support.
- Received Boeing's Supplier of the Year Award.
- Earned Governor's Excellence in Workers' Compensation Award from Gov. Bob Taft (Ohio) and The Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation.
- Named John Deere Construction & Forestry Division Supplier of the Year.
- Frost & Sullivan awarded Donaldson the 2006 Product Innovation of the Year Award for its air filters and PowerCore Filtration Technology.
- Won the 2005 North American Foodservice Grand Prix Award in the cleaning and chemical product category.
- Several Exxon Mobil Chemical sites -- including Baytown Chemical Plant, Beaumont Polyethylene Plant, Baton Rouge Chemical Plant and Edison Synthetics Plant -- earn efficiency awards and improvement in manufacturing awards from the American Chemistry Council.
- Listed as a Global Outsourcing 100 company by the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals.
- Forrester Research Inc. named the company's Trillium Software a "market leader" and "best-in-class."
- Named by Forbes magazine as One of the Best Big Companies in America.
- Fortune magazine named HNI as One of America's Most Admired Companies.
- Won Intel's Preferred Quality Supplier Award.
- Fortune magazine named Johnson Controls One of America's Most Admired Companies.
- Vice Presidents Susan Kampe and Carolyn Woznicki were recognized on Automotive News' list of 100 Leading Women in the North American automotive industry.
- Awarded the National Safety Award from the National Petroleum Refiners Association.
- Earned an award from the EPA for outstanding climate protection.
- Earned Toyota Motor Corp.'s Global Contribution Award.
- Institutional Investor magazine's America's Best CFOs ranking listed Robert Darretta as one of its top CFOs that transcend the traditional number-crunching, cost-controlling role and embrace responsibility for improving operations, driving revenue growth and executing big acquisitions.
Interested in information related to this topic? Subscribe to our weekly Leadership Insights From The IW 50 eNewsletter.