Consumers demonstrated their interest in health and wellness in 2007 with their purchasing decisions of food and beverages. While taste and convenience remained important, health aspects powered consumers' selections, according to the latest New Product Pacesetters report. The report is issued by market intelligence firm Information Resources Inc.
"During the next year, demand will explode for functional food and beverages that deliver health benefits beyond basic nutrition," said Anne Berlack, executive vice president, IRI Business and Consumer Insights. "Retailers and manufacturers that marry functional benefits with effective consumer education, as Dannon did this year with DanActive immunity-boosting beverages, will win big."
What follows is a list of the top 10 food and beverage brands for 2007, as compiled by IRI. Included are the one year sales (in millions) of each brand across food, drug and mass channels excluding Wal-Mart.
- Campbell's Reduced Sodium Soup $101
- Bird's Eye Steamfresh Frozen Vegetables $87
- Vault/Vault Zero Regular/Diet Soft Drinks $70
- Gatorade A.M. Sports Drinks $70
- General Mills Fiber One Chewy Bars $64
- Heineken Premium Light Lager Beer $63
- Dannon DanActive Probiotic Dairy Drinks $63
- Sara Lee Hearty & Delicious Breads $63
- Dannon Activia Light Yogurt $62
- Jazz Diet Pepsi $56