By working with their procurement department and key suppliers to reduce inventory, manufacturers can make much better use of their entire supply chain, observes Will Bacon, advanced delivery program manager at Trelleborg Sealing Solutions.
Specifically, Bacon offers seven ways manufacturers can partner with service providers to reduce their inventory and streamline logistics and market planning via advanced delivery:
- Prioritize the management of A-, B- and C-class items.
- Track usage of parts.
- Work with an advanced delivery program to make better use of assets.
- Improve management of C-class items
- Deliver forecasts to suppliers for the best possible outcome.
- Consider special handling and packaging.
- Analyze your Kanban system.
Learn more about Bacon's lessons in lean inventory management at Material Handling & Logistics, a companion site of IndustryWeek and part of Penton’s Manufacturing & Supply Chain Group.