Jim Tompkins, CEO of supply chain consulting firm Tompkins Associates, outlines what he considers the seven most important criteria of top-performing supply chains. He says top performers:
- "Have as their foundation a clear supply chain strategy, which has evolved from an in-depth understanding of the organization's business strategy.
- Understand the need for adaptability and speed, and are able to accommodate today's dynamic environment.
- Have transparency, clarity of performance expectations and accountability for achieving great customer satisfaction.
- Strive for peak-to-peak performance. They focus on continuous improvement across the supply chain.
- Understand their strengths and their weaknesses. They are active in benchmarking and best practices and have clearly defined and communicated key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Have a true end-to-end perspective, fully considering Plan-Buy-Make-Move-Store-Sell.
- Have eliminated regional boundaries and have integrated their global resources to address their global supply chain."