On a quarterly basis, Stericycle ExpertSolutions compiles and analyzes recall data from the CPSC, FDA, NHTSA and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The company, which provides a range of product recall-related services, recently shared 2015 first-quarter data from the regulatory bodies. They show:
• FDA recalls in the first quarter numbered 417 events, up 5% from the previous quarter. Of that total, 252 were medical device recalls, up 15% over the prior quarter, and 121 were food industry events, also up 15%. At 44, FDA pharmaceutical recalls were down by 40% compared with the fourth quarter of 2014.
• In total, the FDA recalls impacted more than 100 million units, up 9%.
• Citing U.S. Department of Agriculture reports, the first-quarter recall index showed 52 recalls of meat, poultry and processed egg products. While that figure reflects an increase of 68% from the fourth quarter, the number of pounds recalled was down by half to slightly more than 1 million.
• NHTSA data show 182 recall events in the first quarter, down by 25% from the previous quarter and the lowest figure since the first quarter of 2014. The number of impacted units was 7.2 million, down 35% from the fourth quarter of 2014. The recall scorecard also noted that recalls that began in 2014 are carrying into the 2015's first quarter.
• 57 CPSC recalls were noted in the first quarter, down 7% from the prior quarter.