Excerpts from "The Toyota Product Development System: Integrating People, Process and Technology," (2006, Productivity Press)
- Establish customer-defined value to separate value-added activity from waste.
- Front-load the product development process while there is maximum design space to explore alternate solutions thoroughly.
- Create a leveled product development process flow.
- Utilize rigorous standardization to reduce variation, and create flexibility and predictable outcomes.
- Develop a chief engineer system to integrate development from start to finish.
- Organize to balance functional expertise and cross-functional integration.
- Develop towering technical competence in all engineers.
- Fully integrate suppliers into the product development system.
- Build in learning and continuous improvement.
- Build a culture to support excellence and relentless improvement.
- Adapt technology to fit your people and process.
- Align your organization through simple, visual communication.
- Use powerful tools for standardization and organizational learning.