Though all of the companies on this list include manufacturing as a primary or secondary industry code in regulatory filings, IndustryWeek editors chose to exclude them from the 2023 IW U.S. 500 list of the largest publicly traded manufacturing companies in the country because they outsource all or the overwhelming majority of their production.
2023 IW U.S. 500 Coverage
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Oil & Gas Production Dominate Manufacturing
- The 2023 IW U.S. 500: A Radically Changed List that Asks Which Top Companies Really Manufacture Anything
- PDF Download of the IW U.S. 500 List
- IW U.S. 500 Rejects: Apple, Nike, Hasbro and 68 Other Companies that Don't Make Their Own Products Removed from Manufacturers List
- IW U.S. 500 Rejects List: Companies Pulled from the List Because They Don't Manufacture Products
To confirm whether or not a company should be called a manufacturer, editors examined more than 650 10-K annual filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. In those reports, the companies on this list detailed the networks of suppliers that they use to handle production.