While not as dominant as oil and gas producers, pharmaceutical and biotechnology manufacturers had fantastic results in 2022, driven in some cases by COVID-19 vaccines and by general growth in others.
After having been shut out of the 2022 IW U.S. 500 list of America’s largest publicly traded manufacturers, a major pharmaceutical company took the No. 10 spot this year, leapfrogging a rival that placed No. 11.
As a group, the bio-pharma industry grew revenues by 6.5% in 2022 and achieved a 20% profit margin, earning $133.7 billion on $667.6 billion in sales. For details on how the Top 10 companies in the space performed, please browse through the slideshow.
2023 IW U.S. 500 Coverage
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Primary Metals Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Automotive Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Semiconductor and Equipment Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Electrical Equipment and Components Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Industrial Machinery Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Building Materials Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Aerospace and Defense Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Top Paper and Timber Companies
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Oil & Gas Production Dominate Manufacturing
- The 2023 IW U.S. 500: A Radically Changed List that Asks Which Top Companies Really Manufacture Anything
- PDF Download of the IW U.S. 500 List
- IW U.S. 500 Rejects: Apple, Nike, Hasbro and 68 Other Companies that Don't Make Their Own Products Removed from Manufacturers List
- IW U.S. 500 Rejects List: Companies Pulled from the List Because They Don't Manufacture Products