It is undeniable that B2B marketplaces are changing the way that industries operate. Traditional linear supply chains are being replaced by intricate value webs that are built on relationships with suppliers, channel partners, customers, alliances, and other trading partners. The winning company of the future will be a connected company with a collaborative network. Many firms are acknowledging this reality and creating or participating in public and private B2B marketplaces to gain benefits through:
- Strategy Alignment: To what degree is the marketplace's business model, process, organization, and systems aligned to its strategy? To what extent is the marketplace strategy in line with the current market and financial realities?
- Governance and Organization: Is the ownership and governance model appropriate? What is the strength of the leadership team? To what extent is the organization and culture geared toward speed, flexibility, customers, liquidity, and profitability?
- Next Generation Solutions: How good is the marketplace in identifying and creating compelling, "killer" apps for its target market? To what extent is the marketplace's solution development process conducive to member buy-in and speed?
- Business Development: To what extent is a marketplace aggressively expanding its membership scope? How strong is the marketplace's ability to attract, retain, and extend its member relationships?
- Globalization: To what extent has the marketplace defined its globalization strategy and presence? How effective is the marketplace's deployment approach for globalization?
- Technology How strong is the marketplace's technology environment in terms of scalability, flexibility, reliability, availability, and security? To what extent can the marketplace's technology environment support new services and/or modify existing ones?
- Marketplace Economics: What is the breadth and depth of a marketplace's revenue sources? How good is the marketplace in optimizing its pricing strategies?
- Member Connections: What are the marketplace's connectivity options for all tiers of members? Has the marketplace leveraged other service providers to offer simple, rapid, complete, and low cost solutions?