ByWilliam H. MillerAt A Glance
- Average first-pass yield of finished product: 99%.
- Scrap and rework 0.7% of sales.
- Annual inventory turns up from 64 five years ago to 120.
- Work-in-process turns up to 130.
- Average number of days parts remain in inventory down from 3.8 in 1991 to 2.6 last year.
- Cycle time for the plant's major product -- journal crosses for light-duty-vehicle drive shafts -- down 55% from 1991 through '95.
- Customer-reject rate improved 75%.
- Productivity up 28%.
- Machine availability -- an estimated 60% only a few years ago -- now up to 98.7%.