Compiled ByPeter Strozniak Diversified industrial firm Ingersoll-Rand Co., Woodcliff Lake, N.J., has launched a new supply-chain service designed to enable industrial manufacturing companies to expand their sourcing programs to more suppliers. Ingersoll-Rand says supplier programs typically focus on the top 80% of purchases, which are usually concentrated among the top 20 suppliers. The company says its new "21st Supplier" service can improve inventory management and streamline administrative functions for the remaining 20% of purchases, which typically involve hundreds of suppliers. Based in Torrington, Conn., the 21st Supplier service will focus on consolidating and managing direct material purchasing for major industrial companies. The new business has signed service agreements with SupplyWorks Inc. of Bedford, Mass., and Robertson Transportation of Champaign, Ill., to deliver comprehensive supply-chain-management solutions.