The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently announced the top 25 purchasers of green (solar, wind, geothermal, low-impact hydropower, biomass and biogas) power, together accounting for more than 6 billion kilowatt-hours per year.
With more than 1 billion kilowatt-hours per year, PepsiCo doubles its next closest competitor and tops this year's list. Added to this accomplishment, two of the company's independent bottlers also came in fourth and 13th, signaling a broad corporatewide effort on the part of the beverage heavyweight to establish a sustainable supply chain. The company's three largest bottlers also recently announced plans to buy enough renewable energy certificates to match all electricity needs for their operations.
All organizations on the Top 25 list also are part of the Green Power Partnership, which the EPA launched in 2001 to promote voluntary green power purchases to promote renewable power resources and reduce the environmental impact of conventional electricity. The more than 750 Green Power Partners buy more than 10 billion kWh of green power each year, while the top 25 buyers account for more than 6 billion kWh combined.
Partner Organization -- Green Power (kilowatt - hours / year)
- PepsiCo -- 1,105,045,154
- Wells Fargo & Company -- 550,000,000
- Whole Foods Market -- 509,104,786
- The Pepsi Bottling Group, Inc. -- 457,851,838
- U.S. Air Force -- 457,500,000
- Johnson & Johnson -- 400,702,978
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency -- 329,880,513
- Kohl's Department Stores -- 201,396,000
- Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts -- 196,003,000
- Starbucks -- 185,000,000
- DuPont Company -- 180,000,000
- U.S. Department of Energy -- 157,964,000
- PepsiAmericas, Inc. -- 157,062,875
- Vail Resorts, Inc. -- 152,000,000
- Cisco Systems, Inc. -- 128,204,000
- HSBC North America -- 124,544,000
- Staples -- 121,800,000
- New York University -- 118,616,000
- The World Bank Group -- 114,735,000
- University of Pennsylvania -- 112,000,000
- IBM Corporation -- 110,103,000
- Mohawk Fine Papers Inc. -- 100,200,000
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs -- 90,000,000
- NatureWorks LLC -- 89,000,000
- Sprint Nextel -- 87,600,000
Interested in information related to sustainable manufacturing best practices? Bookmark our Making Green page, and check back daily for updated content.