Unilever's Doing Its Part - 11 Sites Across UK are Zero Landfill

Sept. 17, 2011
As part of its global Sustainable Living Plan, Unilever set out to become a "zero to landfill" manufacturer in the UK as well as doubling the size of its business. Unilever is working with waste supplier Veolia to ensure that 97% of its waste is ...

As part of its global Sustainable Living Plan, Unilever set out to become a "zero to landfill" manufacturer in the UK as well as doubling the size of its business.

Unilever is working with waste supplier Veolia to ensure that 97% of its waste is recycled. The remaining 3% will be converted into usable energy.

As well as Unilever's manufacturing sites, the company's two strategic research and development laboratories in at Port Sunlight and Colworth Science Park, and its two major offices in Blackfriars, London, and Leatherhead, Surrey, are also included in the waste recycling efforts.

"Managing waste in a manufacturing process has similarities to managing waste as a consumer -- it requires the application of the "three R's" principle: reduce, reuse, recycle. While this announcement is all about our commitment to recycling, we are also determined to find ways to reduce and reuse the materials which we need in our factories," said Tony Dunnage, Unilever European Eco-Efficiency Manager.

Unilever has reduced its total waste in manufacturing per ton of production by 77% since 1995.

Popular Sponsored Recommendations

What Is Your Smart Factory IQ?

Sept. 24, 2023
It’s time to put Smart, data-driven manufacturing operations to the test. In this comprehensive whitepaper we show you how to determine the Artificial Intelligence Quotient (AIQ...

Beware Extreme Software

Sept. 24, 2023
As a manufacturer, you understand the importance of staying ahead of the curve and being proactive in your approach to technology. With the rapid pace of change in the industry...

How to Achieve a Sustainability Breakthrough by Increasing Data Resolution

Aug. 22, 2023
Learn how looking at data differently can help companies address sustainable operations challenges.

Digitally Transforming Data and Processes With Product Lifecycle Management

Oct. 29, 2023
Manufacturers face increasing challenges in product development as they strive to consistently deliver improved results. Discover how industry leaders are improving time-to-market...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of IndustryWeek, create an account today!