Industryweek 7809 Thales Siemens Tapped Spain High Speed Train Safety Systems

Thales, Siemens Tapped for Spain High-Speed Train Safety Systems

Nov. 24, 2014
Thales and Siemens have won a contract worth more than 500 million euros to revamp safety systems on a high-speed train line in Spain.

PARIS -- The French and German industrial giants Thales (IW 1000/240) and Siemens (IW 1000/35) said Monday they had won a contract worth more than 500 million euros to revamp safety systems on a high-speed train line in Spain.

"The order has a total value of around 510 million euros [$633 million] for the consortium," the companies said in a joint statement.

The two companies will modernize the control, signaling and safety equipment on the roughly 340-kilometer (211-mile) section of the high-speed line between Olmedo and Ourense in northern Spain.

The consortium is 55% owned by Thales with the remaining 45% held by Siemens.

A high-speed derailment on another section of this high-speed line in July 2013 caused 79 deaths on the outskirts of the northwestern city of Santiago de Compostela, Spain's deadliest train accident since 1944.

Copyright Agence France-Presse, 2014

Popular Sponsored Recommendations

Legacy Phone Lines Are Draining Your Profits

Oct. 30, 2023
Copper wire phone line expenses that support emergency devices could be costing your company millions of dollars in wasteful overhead expenses. Rates have been skyrocketing while...

S&OP Optimization: Data-driven Strategies to Achieve Sustainable Profitability

Feb. 6, 2024
Through collaborative S&OP, manufacturers can balance demand and supply effectively, optimize resources, and capitalize on emerging market opportunities. Learn how to maximize...

3 Best Practices to Create a Product-Centric Competitive Advantage with PRO.FILE PLM

Jan. 25, 2024
Gain insight on best practices and strategies you need to accelerate engineering change management and reduce time to market. Register now for your opportunity to accelerate your...

6 Ways Manufacturers Can Use GenAI Today

Feb. 1, 2024
Hear six compelling use cases where generative AI is making a significant impact in augmenting frontline workers and transforming operations. Learn how GenAI Assistants and smart...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of IndustryWeek, create an account today!