Iraq Signs Oil Field Deal with Chinese, Turkish Firms

May 17, 2010
Contract signals end of year-long negotiations and the rise of Iraq in oil industry

Iraq signed a deal with Chinese energy giant CNOOC and Turkey's TPAO on May 17 to develop a major southern oilfield complex, its 11th deal with foreign energy firms as Baghdad aims to boost crude output.

Among the three fields in the Maysan complex, along Iraq's border with Iran, is one partially claimed by Tehran, whose forces took over an oil well in the Fakka field in December for several days but withdrew after bilateral talks.

"Today is a very important day in the history of Iraqi oil production, with the development of very important fields in Maysan province," Oil Minister Hussein al-Shahristani said at the contract signing in Baghdad.

"After several contacts with CNOOC and TPAO, a price for exploitation has been agreed." The fields were first put up for auction in June last year but no agreement was reached.

CNOOC and TPAO agreed to be paid $2.30 per barrel of oil extracted from the three Maysan fields, which has proven reserves of 2.6 billion barrels of oil, Shahristani said.

Under the deal, output is projected to be ramped up to 450,000 barrels per day (bpd), compared to current production of around 100,000 bpd.

CNOOC will have an 85% stake in the joint venture, while TPAO holds the remaining 15%. The Iraqi government will have a 25% stake in the overall project.

The agreed deal was worth around a tenth of what was initially requested -- CNOOC and Sinochem, another Chinese energy firm, had asked for $21.4 per barrel when the field was auctioned to foreign firms last June. Sinochem has since pulled out of the deal.

Last year, Iraq held two auctions of its oil fields for development, the first time foreign energy firms have had the opportunity to plant a foot firmly in the country since its energy sector was nationalized in 1972.

The Maysan deal means Chinese companies now have stakes in four major oil projects in Iraq.

As with the CNOOC-TPAO deal, companies which sign contracts with Iraq will receive a fixed fee per barrel, not a share of profits, and the fee will only be paid once an agreed production threshold is reached.

The 11 deals signed by Iraq so far will, if fully realized, ramp up its oil output five-fold to 12 million bpd, putting it on a par with the world's top producer Saudi Arabia.

However, there has been little exploration or development of fields in the past three decades because of wars and a UN embargo imposed on Iraq in 1990 following now-executed dictator Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait.

Copyright Agence France-Presse, 2010

Popular Sponsored Recommendations

Decarbonization Navigator: A Toolkit for Organizations

Sept. 28, 2023
The increasing urgency of addressing climate change along with stakeholder pressures are driving the need for organizations to prioritize decarbonization. Discover how to start...

Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Guidebook for Engineers

Sept. 27, 2023
Leverage Domain Expertise to Drive Optimization – Without Needing a Data Scientist.

3D Printing a More Efficient Factory Floor

Nov. 16, 2023
Today’s additive manufacturing platforms make it simple to print a wide range of high-performing industrial parts as soon as possible and right where you need them — unlocking...

How to Build Zero-Cost On-Site Solar and Storage Projects

Nov. 25, 2023
The Inflation Reduction Act offers tax credits, incentives, and financing that enable no-cost projects. In Enel’s eBook, discover the critical role that incentives play in your...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of IndustryWeek, create an account today!