President of the Council on Competitiveness Deborah L. Wince-Smith has announced a new initiative that seeks to enhance U.S. competitiveness and energy security.
The council, co-chaired by James W. Owens, chairman and CEO of Caterpillar Inc., links energy security and sustainability as key U.S. competitiveness issues because of their direct impact on the productivity of U.S. companies and the American standard of living.
The initiative's steering committee is drawn from the executive suite of major U.S. corporations, universities and labor unions, and will focus on the private sector and the potential for collaboration with labor and academia on innovation and competitiveness.
Over the next 18 months the Council on Competitiveness will conduct a series of studies to examine the strategic implications of today's global energy realities and highlight the role of private sector demand in a secure and sustainable energy future.
Energy Security, Innovation and Sustainability Initiative Steering Committee
- Shirley Ann Jackson, Co-Chair, President, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- D. Michael Langford, Co-Chair, National President, Utility Workers Union of America
- James W. Owens, Co-Chair, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Caterpillar Inc.
- Charles O. Holliday, Jr. Ex-officio, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, DuPont
- Ian Read President, Worldwide Pharmaceutical Operations, Pfizer Inc.
- John D. Hofmeister President, Shell Oil Company
- Frederick W. Smith, Chairman, President and CEO, FedEx Corporation
- John Elting Treat, Vice Chairman, Alternative Hybrid Locomotive Technologies
- Clarence P. Cazalot, Jr. President and Chief Executive Officer, Marathon Oil Corporation
- Douglas J. McCarron, General President, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America
- John B. Menzer, Vice Chairman and Chief Administrative Officer, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Anthony J. Alexander, President and CEO, FirstEnergy Corporation
- Ralph Peterson, President and CEO, CH2M HILL
- John Rollwagen, Executive Chairman, SiCortex
- Robert Rosner, Director, Argonne National Laboratory
- John W. Rowe, Chairman and CEO, Exelon Corporation
- Kenan Sahin, President and Founder, TIAX LLC
- William A. McDonough, Principal and Founder, William McDonough + Partners
- James E. Wright, President, Dartmouth College
- Daniel H. Yergin, Chairman, Cambridge Energy Research Associates
- Carl F. Kohrt, President and CEO, Battelle Memorial Institute
- G. Wayne Clough, Ex-officio, President, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Dan E. Arvizu, Director, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Frank Bowman, President, Nuclear Energy Institute
- Steven Chu, Director, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Mary Sue Coleman, President, University of Michigan
- Michael M. Crow, President, Arizona State University
- John J. DeGioia, President, Georgetown University
- Michael T. Eckhart, President, American Council on Renewable Energy
- Peter Halpin, Chief Executive Officer, World Resources Company
- Richard Herman, Chancellor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Susan Hockfield, President, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Richard L. Sandor, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Chicago Climate Exchange
- John Selldorff, President and Chief Executive Officer, Legrand North America
- Lou Anna K. Simon, President, Michigan State University
For more information, visit http://www.compete.org