Steel, aluminum and other metals are key ingredients in everything from automobiles and airplanes to skyscrapers and bridges. So how did producers of these primary metals financially fare in fiscal 2022? We can show—and tell you.
For many of the manufacturers that comprise the primary metals segment of the 2023 IndustryWeek U.S. 500, fiscal 2022 was a very good year. All 16 of the primary metals companies included on the 2023 IW 500, which lists the top 500 publicly held U.S. manufacturing companies based on 2022 revenue, reported revenue growth over the previous fiscal year. Eleven reported net income, while five reported net losses. Four of the five net losses occurred among aluminum manufacturers.
In this slideshow, we share the Top 10 performers among primary metals producers, along with key financial data and their ranking on the overall IW U.S. 500 list. Below are data for all 16 companies.
2023 IW U.S. 500 Coverage
- 2023 IW U.S. 500: Oil & Gas Production Dominate Manufacturing
- The 2023 IW U.S. 500: A Radically Changed List that Asks Which Top Companies Really Manufacture Anything
- PDF Download of the IW U.S. 500 List
- IW U.S. 500 Rejects: Apple, Nike, Hasbro and 68 Other Companies that Don't Make Their Own Products Removed from Manufacturers List
- IW U.S. 500 Rejects List: Companies Pulled from the List Because They Don't Manufacture Products