About the IndustryWeek Best Plants Program
Established in 1990, the IndustryWeek Best Plants Awards program annually recognizes plants, located in North America, that are on the leading edge of efforts to increase competitiveness, enhance customer satisfaction, and create stimulating and rewarding work environments. Its further goal is to encourage other manufacturing managers and work teams to emulate the honorees by adopting world-class practices, technologies, and improvement strategies.
See Also: Meet the 2018 IW Best Plants winners
See Also: Sign up to receive a 2019 IW Best Plants competition entry form.
All entrants receive the following: a customized benchmark report; an IW Best Plants Statistical Profile; and reduced or complimentary registration to Manufacturing & Technology, an IndustryWeek event, formerly the IW Best Plants Conference.
- IndustryWeek spotlights the winners and their strategies for success in a signature feature package. Gain national recognition and give your employees a public pat on the back for their hard work.
- Winners receive two complimentary registrations to annual Manufacturing & Technology 2020, an IndustryWeek event.
- Finalists receive one complimentary registration to the annual Manufacturing & Technology 2020, an IndustryWeek event.
- Applicants that do not qualify as a winner or finalist receive 50% off one registration for Manufacturing & Technology 2020, an IndustryWeek event.
- All applicants also receive customized benchmarking reports that show how their metrics compare with all other applicants (in the aggregate). In addition, all participants receive an IW Statistical Profile that provides benchmarking data from five years of Best Plants winners and finalists.
Candidate facilities are judged by a panel of IndustryWeek editors, who may solicit independent evaluations from manufacturing experts and other knowledgeable persons. The panel looks for evidence of:
- A comprehensive effort to achieve world-class manufacturing capability.
- Management practices geared to motivating achievement of breakthroughs in operating performance and customer satisfaction, as well as cultivating continuous improvement.
- Strong quality systems and results, including evidence of low defect rates and good process-control capability.
- Extensive employee involvement and empowerment programs, especially efforts to create and provide training for high-performance work teams.
- A strong customer focus, including formal customer-satisfaction programs, customer involvement in product design, employee contact with customers, and efforts to reduce customer leadtimes.
- Effective supplier-partnership programs, including efforts to solicit supplier evaluations of plant practices.
- Appropriate use of technology, as required by changing business needs.
- Flexible and/or agile production systems capable of responding quickly to customer needs and shifts in the marketplace. The flexibility may be the result of intelligent automation and information technology, just-in-time/continuous-flow production systems, use of quick-changeover methods, a multiskilled workforce, small-lot production, focused-factory plant design, or other lean initiatives.
- Improvements in manufacturing operations, including shortening of manufacturing cycle times, improvements in productivity, and reduction of inventories.
- Proactive environmental and safety practices.
Candidates for IndustryWeek's 2019 North American Best Plants competition must:
Be a single manufacturing plant or a combination of related facilities within a specific geographic location (not to exceed a 25-mile distance from plant to plant) and under the direction of a single management team. To qualify as a manufacturing facility, the plant's output should be a physical product representing value-added.
Have completed at least three years of operation as of January 1, 2019. Plant startup on or before January 1, 2016.
Be located within the United States or its territories, Mexico, or Canada. Eligibility is not limited to plants owned by U.S.-based parent companies.
Not have been honored as an IW Best Plants in the previous two years.
Completed applications are reviewed by a judging panel of IW editors and trusted advisors. Using a weighted scoring system, the composite ratings of the judges determine the Best Plants finalists. The finalists receive a second questionnaire seeking documentation of achievements and presenting plant-specific follow-up questions.
After a subsequent review of the information submitted in the follow-up questionnaire, along with additional supporting materials, the IW judging panel tentatively selects North American winners, pending validation. The confirmed winners are publicly recognized.
2019 IW Best Plants Application
Click here to receive a 2019 IW Best Plants application.
Timetable For 2019 Competition
|Feb. 25 2019||2019 Applications available|
|April 15, 2019||Early bird deadline for return of completed entry forms with supporting statements.|
|May 6, 2019||Deadline for return of completed entry forms with supporting statements.|
|July-Aug 2019||Selection of finalists.|
|Aug-Sept. 2019||Finalist judging|
|Early 2020||Winners announced|
|2020||Meet the 2019 winners at Manufacturing & Technology 2020, an IndustryWeek event.|
For further information, contact Jill Jusko at (216) 931-9311 or [email protected].